Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
An ferne Berge schlug die Donnerkeulen Ein rasch verrauschtes Nachmittagsgewitter. Die Bauern zogen heim auf müden Gäulen, Und singend kehrten Winzervolk und Schnitter. Auf allen Dächern qualmten blaue Säulen Genügsam himmelan, ein luftig Gitter. Nun ist es Nacht, es geistern schon die Eulen, Einsam aus einer Laube klingt die Zither.
- by Detlev von Liliencron (1844 - 1909), "Sommernacht" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Conrad (Eduard Reinhold) Ansorge (1862 - 1930), "Sommernacht", op. 11 (Sieben Gesänge) no. 1, published 1898 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Kreisende Ringe [sung text not yet checked]
- by José Berr (1874 - 1947), "Sommernacht", op. 39 (Zwei Männerchöre) no. 2 [ men's chorus a cappella ] [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Summer night", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Nuit dété", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-07-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 50
Against the distant mountains a quickly passing Afternoon storm crashed its thunderbolts. The farmers rode home upon tired nags, And, singing, the vintners and reapers returned. Upon every roof blue columns of smoke Puffed modestly toward heaven, an airy lattice. Now it is night, the owls are already spooking about, And a lonely zither sounds from out an arbour.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Detlev von Liliencron (1844 - 1909), "Sommernacht"
This text was added to the website: 2013-10-31
Line count: 8
Word count: 59