Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Gute Nacht, geliebtes Leben, Ruf' ich dir ins Fensterlein, Und dann geh' ich meiner Wege -- Ach, im Traum gedenke mein! Denn du weißt ja, dir ergeben Muß mein Herz in Qualen beben; Gute Nacht, geliebtes Leben -- Ach, im Traum gedenke mein!
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 195.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), "Ständchen", appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Volksthümliche Lieder, first published 1860 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joseph Marx (1882 - 1964), "Ständchen", 1912 [ medium voice and piano or string quartet or orchestra ], from Italienisches Liederbuch, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Arnold Mendelssohn (1855 - 1933), "Ständchen", published 1900 [ voice and piano ], from Lieder und Gesänge, no. 28b, Berlin, Ries & Erler [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Serenade", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Sérénade", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 41
Good night, my dear life, I call to you through your window, And then I go my way -- Ah, think of me in your dreams! For you know well that, utterly yours, My heart must tremble in agonies; Good night, my dear life, Ah, think of me in your dreams!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), "Ständchen", appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Volksthümliche Lieder, first published 1860
This text was added to the website: 2013-12-06
Line count: 8
Word count: 50