Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ach, wende diesen Blick, wende dies Angesicht! Das Inn're mir mit ewig neuer Glut, Mit ewig neuem Harm erfülle nicht! Wenn einmal die gequälte Seele ruht, Und mit so fieberischer Wilde nicht In meinen Adern rollt das heiße Blut - Ein Strahl, ein flüchtiger, von deinem Licht, Er wecket auf des Wehs gesamte Wut, Das [schlangenhaft]1 mich in das Herze sticht.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Brahms: "schlangengleich"
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), no title, appears in Frauenbilder und Huldigungen, in Dritte Periode, no. 5, Volume II, first published 1853 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolph Bergh (1859 - 1924), "Dies Angesicht", op. 19 (Fünf Lieder) no. 3. [voice and piano] [text not verified]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Ach, wende diesen Blick", op. 57 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge) no. 4 (<<1871), published 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Ah, turn away this gaze", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Ah, détourne ce regard", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , title 1: "Ah, turn away that look", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Ach, wend die blik toch af", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 61
Ah, turn away that look, turn away that face! Don't occupy my heart with ever-growing desire, with ever-growing heartache! If my tormented soul is finally at rest, and the hot blood in my veins doesn't rush with such barbaric madness - A momentary glimmer of your radiance, awakens the full insanity of my anguish, which bites into my heart like a snake.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Kyle Gee, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Kyle Gee.  Contact: kyleanthonygee (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), no title, appears in Frauenbilder und Huldigungen, in Dritte Periode, no. 5, Volume II, first published 1853
This text was added to the website: 2014-01-09
Line count: 9
Word count: 62