Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun fallen die Augen müde mir zu. Komm, Engel des Schlummers, hüte die Ruh, Komm halte am Bette freundliche Wacht, Und kosige Träume webe, o Nacht! Und schlürfe, was nimmer, Seele, wohl Du Geatmet im Lichte: Friede und Ruh.
- possibly by (Theodor) Franz Johann August Hermann Engel (1834 - 1920) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- possibly by Carl Friedrich Engel (1712 - 1785) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Max Reger (1873 - 1916), "Zur Nacht", op. 6 (Drei Chöre) no. 2 (1892) [ four-part mixed chorus and piano ], note: Reger's score indicates the poet only as "Fr. Engel" [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl Schotte (1864 - 1917), "Zur Nacht", op. 2 (Vier Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 3, published 1886 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Uhse [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "À la nuit", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-07-29
Line count: 6
Word count: 39
Maintenant mes yeux fatigués se ferment. Viens, ange du sommeil, veille sur mon repos, Viens, monte amicalement la garde près de mon lit, Et tisse des rêves caressants, ô nuit ! Et savoure, ô âme, ce que jamais tu n'as Respiré à la lumière : paix et repos.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) possibly by (Theodor) Franz Johann August Hermann Engel (1834 - 1920) and possibly by Carl Friedrich Engel (1712 - 1785)
This text was added to the website: 2015-06-04
Line count: 6
Word count: 48