Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Wie rauscht so sacht Durch alle Wipfel Die stille Nacht, Hat Thal u[nd] Gipfel Zur Ruh gebracht. Nur der Mensch in Träumen Sinnt fort, was er bei Tag gedacht, Weiß nichts von dem Lied in den Bäumen Und von des Himmels Pracht, Der in den stillen Räumen Ueber Allen wacht.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Nachts" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Leopold) Heinrich (Picot de Peccaduc), Freiherr von Herzogenberg (1843 - 1900), "In der Nacht", op. 57 (Sechs Gesänge für gemischten Chor a capella) no. 4, published 1889 [mixed chorus a cappella], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text not verified]
- by Wilhelm Rudnick (1850 - 1927), "In der Nacht", op. 14 (Zwei Gesänge für gemischten Chor) no. 2, published 1880 [mixed chorus a cappella], Leipzig, Forberg [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2012-04-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:52
Line count: 11
Word count: 50
How gently soughs Through all the treetops The quiet night; It has brought to rest Valleys and mountain peaks. Only man in dreams Continues to ponder that which he thought by day, Knows nothing of the song in the trees And of the splendour of Heaven, Which in all the quiet expanses Keeps watch above everyone.
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Nachts" = "At Night"
"In der Nacht" = "In the Night"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Nachts"
Text added to the website: 2015-08-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-08-20 13:38:47
Line count: 11
Word count: 56