Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Herz ist wie ein See so weit, Drin lacht dein [Antlitz]1 sonnenlicht In tiefer süßer Einsamkeit, Wo leise Well' an Well' sich bricht. Ist's Nacht, ist's Tag? Ich weiß es nicht, Lacht doch auf mich so lieb und lind Dein [sonnenlichtes]2 [Angesicht]3 Und selig bin ich wie ein Kind.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte und Sprüche von Friedrich Nietzsche,Leipzig: Druck und Verlag von C.G. Naumann, 1901, page 23.1 Orff: "Auge"
2 Thomas: "sonnenhelles"
3 Orff: "Augenlicht"
- by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), appears in Lieder, no. 1 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Orff (1895 - 1982), "Mein Herz ist wie ein See so weit", 1919 [high voice and piano], from Zwei Lieder für hohe Stimme, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
- by Kurt Thomas (1904 - 1973), "Mein Herz ist wie ein See so weit", op. 9 no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Heiter", 1901-4, from Acht frühe Lieder, no. 6. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , title 1: "Munter", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Bonheur", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "El meu cor és tan gran com un llac", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 50
My heart is like a sea so broad, In which the sunlight of your face laughs In deep, sweet solitude, Where wave breaks softly upon wave, Is it night? Is it day? I cannot tell; Smiling upon me so sweetly and soothingly, your sunlit face. And I am as blissful as a child.
About the headline (FAQ)This is a translation of Webern's version.
Translation of title "Heiter" = "Serene"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), appears in Lieder, no. 1
This text was added to the website: 2015-08-24
Line count: 8
Word count: 53