Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Лишь розы увядают, Амврозией дыша, В Элизий улетает Их лёгкая душа. И там, где волны сонны Забвение несут, Их тени благовонны Над Летою цветут.
Show a transliteration: Default | DIN | GOSTNote on Transliterations
- by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799 - 1837), "Лишь розы увядают", first published 1825 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Valery Grigorevich Kikta (b. 1941), "Лишь розы увядают" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Arthur Vincent Lourié (1891 - 1966), "Лишь розы увядают" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Nikolai Karlovich Medtner (1880 - 1951), "Лишь розы увядают", op. 36 (Шесть стихотворений А. Пушкина (Shest' stikhotvorenij A. Pushkina)) no. 3 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Aussitôt que les rose se fanent", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Yuri Mitelman
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 24
Aussitôt que les rose se fanent Respirant de l'ambroisie, Vers l'Élysée s'envolent Leurs âmes légères. Et là où les vagues endormies Apportent l'oubli, Leurs ombres odorantes Fleurissent au-dessus du Léthé.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799 - 1837), "Лишь розы увядают", first published 1825
This text was added to the website: 2015-09-02
Line count: 8
Word count: 30