Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Erwin Inneres Wühlen Ewig zu fühlen, Immer verlangen, Nimmer erlangen, Fliehen und Streben, Sterben und Leben, -- Höllische Qual Endig' einmal!
Confirmed with Goethe's Werke nach den vorzüglichsten Quellen revidirte Ausgabe, Dritter Theil, Gedichte, herausgegeben und mit Anmerkungen begleitet von Dr. Fr. Strehlke, Berlin, Gustav Hempel, 1868, page 71.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), appears in Erwin und Elmire [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Nikolai Karlovich Medtner (1880 - 1951), "Aus Erwin und Elmire", op. 6 no. 6, also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Aus Erwin und Elmire", op. 25 no. 10, published 1919 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist FRE ; composed by Nikolai Karlovich Medtner.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "De Erwin et Elmire", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 20
Erwin Troubles intimes, Toujours à ressentir, Toujours exiger, Jamais satisfaits, Fuir et aspirer, Mourir et vivre, Tourment infernal Sans fin à jamais !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), appears in Erwin und Elmire
This text was added to the website: 2015-09-09
Line count: 9
Word count: 23