Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Soffro, lontan lontano Le nebbie sonnolente Salgono dal tacente Piano. Alto gracchiando, i corvi, Fidati all'ali nere, Traversan le brughiere Torvi. Dell'aere ai morsi crudi Gli addolorati tronchi Offron, pregando, i bronchi nudi. Come ho freddo! Son sola; Pel grigio ciel sospinto Un gemito destinto Vola; E mi ripete: Vieni; È buia la vallata. O triste, o disamata Vieni! Vieni!
- by Ada Negri (1870 - 1945) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Thomas A. Gregg) , "Mists", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Brumes", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Xavier Rivera) , "Brumas", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 20
Word count: 60
Je souffre, au loin, au loin, Les brumes assoupies S'élèvent de la silencieuse Plaine. En haut, croassant, les corbeaux, leurs ailes noires fidèles, Traversent les landes Sinistres. Aux morsures cruelles des airs Les troncs affligés Offrent, en priant, leurs branches nues. Comme j'ai froid ! Je suis seule ; Jetée à travers le ciel gris Une plainte perceptible Vole ; Et me répète : Viens ; La vallée est sombre. Ô toi qui es triste, mal aimée, Viens ! Viens !
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2015-11-29
Line count: 20
Word count: 81