Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Je voudrais t'emporter dans un monde nouveau Parmi d'autres maisons et d'autres paysages Et là, baisant tes mains, contemplant ton visage, T'enseigner un amour délicieux et nouveau, Un amour de silence, d'art et de paix profonde: Notre vie serait lente et pleine de pensées, Puis, par hasard, nos mains un instant rapprochées Inclineraient nos coeurs aux caresses profondes, Et les jours passeraient, aussi beaux que des songes, Dans la demi clarté d'une soirée d'automne, Et nous diront tout bas, car le bonheur étonne: Les jours d'amour sont doux quand la vie est un songe.
- by Rémy de Gourmont (1858 - 1915), "Songe", appears in Divertissements, in 6. Le vieux coffret, no. 1, Éd. G. Crès, Paris, first published 1912 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Anatoly Nikolayevich Aleksandrov (1888 - 1982), "Songe", op. 11 no. 2 (1916) [medium voice and piano], from Deux Poésies de Remy de Gourmont = Два стихотворения (Dva stikotvorenija), no. 2. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by André Caplet (1879 - 1925), "Songe", 1917, published 1918 [medium voice and piano], from Le vieux coffret, no. 1, Éd. Durand [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Dream", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 94
I would like to transport you into a new world Among other houses and other landscapes and there, kissing your hands, contemplating your face, Teach you a love delicious and new, A love of silence, of art and of profound peace: Our life would be slow and full of thoughts, Then, by chance, our hands clasping in an instant Might incline our hearts to profound caresses, And the days would pass, as beautiful as the dreams, In the half light of an autumn evening, And we would keep our voices low, because happiness can be surprised: The days of love are sweet when life is a dream.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Rémy de Gourmont (1858 - 1915), "Songe", appears in Divertissements, in 6. Le vieux coffret, no. 1, Éd. G. Crès, Paris, first published 1912
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-26
Line count: 12
Word count: 107