Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Pur nel sonno almen talora vien colei, che m'innamora, le mie pene a consolar. Rendi Amor, se giusto sei, più veraci i sogni miei, o non farmi risvegliar.
M. Glinka sets lines 1-3, 1-3, 4-6, 1-3, 1-3
About the headline (FAQ)
Note: at the end of Glinka's setting, "a consolar" is repeated twice.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka (1804 - 1857), "Pur nel sonno", lines 1-3,1-3,4-6,1-3,1-3 [voice and piano], also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Vincenzo Righini (1756 - 1812), "Pur nel sonno almen talora", op. 7 no. 2, published [c1807] [voice and piano], from Sammlung deutscher und italienischer Gesänge mit Begleitung des Pianoforte, Heft VI, no. 1, from Dodici Ariette, no. 2, Leipzig: Bei Ambrosius Kühnel (Bureau de Musique.); German incipit: "Nur im Traume seh' ich entzückt" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Domenico Scarlatti (1685 - 1757), "Pur nel sonno almen talora", from the cantata Cantata 4 con VV.ni: Pur nel sonno almen talora , no. 2 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893) ENG ; composed by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2003-11-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-05-29 11:27:42
Line count: 6
Word count: 28
Only in my sleep (at least sometimes) comes the beloved1 to console my pain. Grant, love, if you are just, more truth to my dreams or don’t awaken me.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 literally, "the one who fills me with love"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio
Text added to the website: 2015-12-26 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-05-29 11:26:58
Line count: 6
Word count: 29