Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Noël nouvelet, Noël chantons ici, Dévotes gens, Crions à Dieu merci, Chantons Noël pour le Roi nouvelet. Quand m'eveillai, Ayant assez dormi, J'ouvris les yeux, Vis un arbre fleuri, Dont il sortait un bouton vermeillet. Quand je le vis, Mon coeur fut réjoui Car grand' beauté Resplendissait en lui, Comme soleil levant au matinet. D'un angelet Après les chants ouïs Qu'aux pasteurs disait: "Partez d'ici, en Bethléem trouverez l'agnelet.", En Bethléem Marie et Joseph Vis, l'âne et le boeuf Près de l'Enfant au lit: La crèche était au lieu d'un bercelet. L'étoile y vis Qui dans la nuit éclaircit, Qui d'Orient D'où son éclat jaillit En Bethléem les trois Rois amenait. L'un portait l'or Et l'autre offrait la myrrhe, Et l'autre encens qu'il faisait bon sentir: Du Paradis semblait le jardinet!
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936), "Noël ancien", P. 97 no. 4 (1912), published 1912 [medium voice and piano], from Sei Liriche, seconda serie, no. 4, Éd. Ricordi [text verified 1 time]
- by Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936), "Noël ancien", op. 66, P. 90 no. 4 (1909), published 1912 [voice and piano], from Sei liriche, prima serie, no. 4, Milan, Ricordi [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Altes Weihnachtslied", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Ancient Noël (Christmas Song)", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-12-26 14:59:48
Line count: 33
Word count: 131
Christmas comes anew, Let us sing here, “Noël." Devout people, Let us shout thanks to God! Sing Christmas [greetings] to the new King. When I awoke, Having had enough sleep, I opened my eyes, Saw a tree flowering, He pulled off a rosy bud. When I saw him, My heart rejoiced Such great beauty Shone in him, Like the sun rising in the morning. An angel After hearing the songs Said to the shepherds: “Leave here, in Bethlehem you’ll find the little lamb.” In Bethlehem Mary and Joseph Watched over by ass and ox, Close to the child in bed: The crèche served in place of a cradle. The star they saw Which lit the night, From the East Hence its brilliance showed [the way] To Bethlehem [for] the three Kings. One brought gold, And the other offered myrrh, And the other incense; he felt good: It seemed like paradise, like Eden!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2015-12-26 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-12-26 14:59:17
Line count: 33
Word count: 152