Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Überwunden hat der Herr den Tod! Des Menschen Sohn und Gott Ist auferstanden! Ein Sieger auferstanden! Halleluja! Rein, entweiht von keiner Sünde nicht, Trug er des Herrn Gericht, Daß wir, von Sünden Erlöst, Gott wieder finden! Halleluja! Heil, Verwerfung, Tod und Leben, ist, Dein Werk, Gott, Jesu Christ! Du willst das Leben Den Ueberwindern geben! Halleluja!
F. Schubert sets stanza 1
Confirmed with Klopstock, Geistliche Lieder. Erster Theil. Kopenhagen und Leipzig, bey Friedrich Christian Pelt, 1758, pages 201-202.
Note: line 1 begins in this edition with "Ueber", but we've changed it to the umlauted form to match the spelling of the lower-case versions.
- by Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock (1724 - 1803), "Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der den Tod überwand" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der den Tod überwand", subtitle: "Osterlied", D 168A (1815), published 1872, stanza 1 [ satb chorus and piano ], formerly D. 987 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Jesucrist el nostre Salvador, que ha vençut la mort", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Paaslied "Jezus Christus onze Heiland"", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Jesus Christ Our Saviour, who overcame Death (Easter Song)", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Jésus-Christ notre sauveur, qui a vaincu la mort", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-14
Line count: 15
Word count: 56
The Lord has overcome death! The Son of man and God Is risen [from the dead]! A Warrior-Victor is risen! Hallelujah! Pure, not profaned by sin, He carried [out] the command of God, That we, from sin Redeemed, [can] find God again! Hallelujah! Healing, rejection, death and life, are [all] Your work, God, Jesus Christ! You want to give life To [those who] overcome! Hallelujah!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock (1724 - 1803), "Jesus Christus unser Heiland, der den Tod überwand"
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-27
Line count: 15
Word count: 65