Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Da qualche tempo in faccia a casa mia, Fa dimoranza una biondina bella. E' senza damo, e credo che la sia Un'orfanella. Seduta alla finestra tutto il giorno Lavora d'ago, e canta sì graziosa, che ne son preso, e che le vo d'attorno senza mai posa. E come suole Amor che dà dell'estro, M'ha suggerita questa letterina; E gliela porsi quando n'ebbi il destro L'altra mattina.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giuseppe Zaffira , no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "Prologo: Da qualche tempo", CG. 339 (1872) [voice and piano], from Biondina, poème musical, no. 1, also set in French (Français) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Prologue: For some time", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2004-08-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:05
Line count: 12
Word count: 66
For some time now, across from my house, Has lived a pretty blonde girl. She’s without a lover, and I believe that she's A little orphan girl. Seated at her window the whole day She works her needle, and sings with such grace, The I’m completely preoccupied and follow her around without ever resting. And as in the way of Love who gives inspiration, He has suggested this little letter; And handed it to her when I had the chance The other morning.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-02-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-02-08 17:14:39
Line count: 12
Word count: 83