Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ier l'ho scontrata in abito di festa, Che la parea venir dal Paradiso; Un cappellino rosa aveva in testa, Un bianco vel sul viso. In bianco vel, sotto un cappello rosa Non vidi al mondo mai più bella cosa. Ella sembrava quasi la Madonna Che sta dipinta in Chiesa a la mia pieve; Era vestita d'una bianca gonna Fulgida come neve. In cappellino, in velo ed in gonnella, Non vidi al mondo mai cosa più bella.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giuseppe Zaffira (flourished 1868-1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "Sotto un cappello rosa", CG. 341 (1872) [voice and piano], from Biondina, poème musical, no. 3, also set in French (Français) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Under a pink hat ", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2004-08-03
Line count: 12
Word count: 76
Yesterday I ran into her in her best dress, Looking as if she’d come from Paradise; A pink hat on her head, A white veil over her face. In a white veil, underneath a pink hat I never saw such a pretty thing in all the world. She looked just like the Madonna Who is painted in my parish church; She wore a white skirt Shining like snow. In [her] little hat, veil and skirt, I never saw such a pretty thing in all the world.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giuseppe Zaffira (flourished 1868-1886), no title
This text was added to the website: 2016-02-08
Line count: 12
Word count: 86