Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
L'ombre de la très douce est évoquée ici, Indolente, et jouant un air dolent aussi: Nocturne ou lied mineur qui fait pâmer son âme Dans l'ombre où ses longs doigts font mourir une gamme Au piano qui geint comme une pauvre femme.
- by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, "Carte postale", appears in Calligrammes - Poèmes de la paix et de la guerre, first published 1918 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Francis Poulenc (1899 - 1963), "Carte-Postale", FP. 58, from Quatre Poèmes de Guillaume Apollinaire, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Derek Welton) , title 1: "Postcard", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Postcard", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 42
The ghost of the very sweet [one] is evoked here, Idle, and playing a doleful air: A nocturne or Lied in a minor key that makes her soul swoon In the shadow, where under her long fingers a scale is dying away On the piano, that groans like a poor woman.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, "Carte postale", appears in Calligrammes - Poèmes de la paix et de la guerre, first published 1918
This text was added to the website: 2016-04-10
Line count: 5
Word count: 51