Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Orange und Myrthe hier Und rings der Blumen Zier, Und in der Mitte ein Flügel fein, Das muß wohl von meinem Liebsten sein. Er sei Dir werth; wie schön sie blüht, Die Blume verblüht; was tiefer glüht, Du hegst es im Herzen auf [treuem Herd]1; Die Kunst sie bleib Dir werth! Und kann ich nicht immer bei dir sein, Eil' dann zum Freund und denke mein! Doch denk' ich daß wir in allen Tagen All Leid und Freud zusammentragen.
1 in some editions, "tiefem Grund"
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Bei Schenkung eines Flügels" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Bei Schenkung eines Flügels", WoO. 26 no. 4 (1853) [ vocal quartet and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "A la donació d’un piano", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Bij schenking van een vleugel", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Upon the presentation of the gift of piano", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Sur le don d'un piano", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-03-31
Line count: 12
Word count: 80
The orange blossom and the myrtle here And round about the adornment of flowers, And in the middle a fine piano, That must be a gift from my dearest one. May it be worthy of you; however beautifully it blooms, The flower withers; that which flames more deeply You cherish [upon a faithful hearth within]1 your heart; May artistry remain precious to you! And if I cannot always be with you, Then hasten to your friend and think of me! But I think that all our days we Shall bear sorrow and joy together.
1 In some editions, "within the depths of"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Bei Schenkung eines Flügels"
This text was added to the website: 2016-06-28
Line count: 12
Word count: 94