Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Grausame Frühlingssonne, Du weckst mich vor der Zeit, Dem nur in Maienwonne Die zarte Kost gedeiht! Ist nicht ein liebes Mädchen hier, Das auf der Rosenlippe mir Ein Tröpfchen Honig beut, So muß ich jämmerlich vergehn Und wird der Mai mich nimmer sehn In meinem gelben Kleid.
About the headline (FAQ)Note: "Citronenfalter" is an older spelling of "Zitronenfalter"
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Citronenfalter im April", first published 1873 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Thomas Hennig (b. 1964), "Zitronenfalter im April", 1992/3 [ soprano and piano ], from Neun kurze Lieder nach Gedichten von Eduard Mörike, no. 4 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Wolfgang Ulrich (1924 - 1995), "Zitronenfalter im April", 1984 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Felix Paul Weingartner (1863 - 1942), "Zitronenfalter im April", op. 41 no. 1, published 1906, from Frühlings- und Liebeslieder, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Citronenfalter im April", alternate title: "Zitronenfalter im April" [ voice and piano ], from Mörike-Lieder, no. 18 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , no title, copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Piéride en avril", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sole crudele di primavera", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 47
Cruel springtime sun, You awaken me prematurely -- Me, for whom only in May Grows the delicate food on which I live! If there is no dear girl here Who will offer me A drop of honey on her rosy lips, Then I must perish in misery, And May will never behold me In my yellow garb.
About the headline (FAQ)The titles (variously spelled) may be translated "Brimstone butterfly in April"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Citronenfalter im April", first published 1873
This text was added to the website: 2016-03-15
Line count: 10
Word count: 56