Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schlaf, Kindlein, balde! Die Vöglein fliegen im Walde, Sie fliegen [den]1 Wald wohl auf und nieder Und bringen dem Kindlein [die Ruh bald]2 wieder! [Schlaf Kindlein, schlaf!]3
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Kahn: "im"
2 Kahn: "den Schlaf bald" ; Reger: "den Schlaf auch"
3 omitted by Kahn, Reger.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Kahn (1865 - 1951), "Schlaf, Kindlein, balde, die Vöglein fliegen", op. 66 no. 21, published 1920 [vocal duet with piano], from 24 leichte zweistimmige Kanons, no. 21, Leipzig, Leuckart [text verified 1 time]
- by Max Reger (1873 - 1916), "Wiegenlied", 1909. [voice and piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 27
Dors, petit enfant, vite ! Les petits oiseaux volent dans la forêt, Ils volent dans la forêt en haut et en bas, Et ils portent au petit enfant le repos vite à nouveau ! Dors, petit enfant, dors !
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Wiegenlied" = "Berceuse"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-07-06
Line count: 5
Word count: 39