Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Sohn der Jungfrau, Himmelskind! am Boden Auf dem Holz der Schmerzen eingeschlafen, Das der fromme Meister, sinnvoll spielend, Deinen leichten Träumen unterlegte; Blume du, noch in der Knospe dämmernd Eingehüllt die Herrlichkeit des Vaters! O wer sehen könnte, welche Bilder Hinter dieser Stirne, diesen schwarzen Wimpern sich in sanftem Wechsel malen!
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with Mörike, Eduard. Gedichte, Dramatisches, Erzählendes, Stuttgart: J.G. Cotta'sche Buchhandlung, Nachf., 1961, page 127.
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Schlafendes Jesuskind, gemalt von Franc. Albani" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Schlafendes Jesuskind", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 25 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , no title, copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le sommeil de l'enfant Jésus", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "L'Enfant Jésus endormi", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Gesù Bambino che dorme", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:42
Line count: 9
Word count: 51
Son of the Virgin, child of Heaven, on the ground Upon the wood of suffering Thou hast fallen asleep, [The wood] that the pious master, meaningfully playful, Has placed under Thy light dreams; Flower Thou, still only encompassing Half-lit in the bud the glory of the Father! Oh could one see what images Behind this brow, behind these black Lashes, are painted in gentle alternation!
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Schlafendes Jesuskind, gemalt von Franc. Albani" = "The sleeping Christchild painted by Franc. Albani"
"Schlafendes Jesuskind" = "The sleeping Christchild"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Schlafendes Jesuskind, gemalt von Franc. Albani"
Text added to the website: 2016-03-06 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-03-15 16:22:47
Line count: 9
Word count: 65