Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
E le campane hanno suonato a festa, E rimbombato ha l'aria da' mortai; Ah! Che una cerimonia come questa Non s'è veduta mai. Biondina ed io a tutti per le vie Gettavamo confetti a canestrate; Abbiam ballato e fatte assai follie Come v'immaginate, Poi che fu giunta di quel dì la fine, Ah! Con quali note ve lo posso dire? Ebbro di gioia, fra le sue manine Io mi credea morire!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giuseppe Zaffira (flourished 1868-1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "E le campane hanno suonato", CG. 347 (1872) [voice and piano], from Biondina, poème musical, no. 9, also set in French (Français) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Church bells announced the wedding", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2004-08-03
Line count: 12
Word count: 71
Church bells announced the wedding, And fireworks resounded; Ah! Such a ceremony as this Was never seen before. Biondina and I, to everybody in the streets, Threw Jordan almonds from baskets. We danced and enjoyed love’s madness As you might imagine. Then the day drew to a close, Ah! How can I possilbly capture it? Drunk with joy, in her arms I believed I would die!
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giuseppe Zaffira (flourished 1868-1886), no title
This text was added to the website: 2016-10-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 66