Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ier fu mandata una persona pia Che la vestì di bianco tutta quanta; Poi son venuti, e l'han portata via In pompa santa. L'ho vista proprio là nella chiesetta Là dove m'han portato a battezzare; Stava la bara della poveretta Presso l'altare. Mi venne allor sul viso uno smortore Che somigliava al bacio della Morte, E freddo per letargico sudore, Caddi alle porte.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giuseppe Zaffira , no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "Ier fu mandata", CG. 349 (1872) [voice and piano], from Biondina, poème musical, no. 11, also set in French (Français) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Yesterday, a pious women", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2004-08-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-10-04 18:06:03
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
Yesterday, a pious women was sent Who dressed her all in white; Then they came, and bore her away in holy pomp. I saw my beloved in the same church Where I was brought to be baptized; The poor girl’s coffin stood At the altar. My face blanched As though kissed by Death, And frenched in a cold sweat, I collapsed by the door.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-10-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-10-04 18:05:41
Line count: 12
Word count: 64