Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schlaf und Tod, die düstern Adler Umrauschen nachtlang dieses Haupt: Des Menschen goldnes Bildnis Verschlänge die eisige Woge Der Ewigkeit. An schaurigen Riffen Zerschellt der purpurne Leib Und es klagt die dunkle Stimme Über dem Meer. Schwester stürmischer Schwermut Sieh ein ängstlicher Kahn versinkt Unter Sternen, Dem schweigenden Antlitz der Nacht.
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Klage", appears in Offenbarung und Untergang [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Theodor W. Adorno (1903 - 1969), "Klage", op. 5 no. 6 [ voice and piano ], from Klage : Sechs Gedichte von Georg Trakl für Singstimme und Klavier, no. 6 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Jan Stuten (1890 - 1948), "Klage", published 1940 [ bass-baritone and piano ], from In memoriam Georg Trakl, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Lament", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Plainte", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Lamento", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Harry Joelson
This text was added to the website: 2007-07-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 51
Sleep and death - sinister eagles whirr all night long around this head: Eternity’s freezing wave would devour the golden image of man. On horrible reefs the purple body is shattered and the dark voice laments above the seas. Sister of stormy sadness, see, a fearful boat is sinking under stars, the silent countenance of night.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Klage", appears in Offenbarung und Untergang
This text was added to the website: 2017-01-18
Line count: 12
Word count: 56