Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schöne, Liebe, die du alle Klagen Meiner ruhelosen Seele stillst, Alles Schwere will ich gerne tragen, Wenn nur du mich nicht verlassen willst. Meiner heißen Jugend Flammen steigen Jeden Tag zu einem wilden Brand, Um sich dankbar und beglückt zu neigen Einem Winke deiner weißen Hand.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 136.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Huldigung", written 1906 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Manfred Frischknecht (b. 1937), "Huldigung", 1953 [ voice and piano ], from Fünf Lieder, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt , "Huldigung" [ high voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Grabner (1886 - 1969), "Huldigung", 1950/1 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Knud Harder (1885 - 1967), "Huldigung", published 1911 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walther Hecklinger , "Huldigung" [ tenor and piano ], from Hesse-Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Willy Hess (1906 - 1997), "Huldigung", op. 14 no. 4 (1939), published 1939 [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Liebeslieder nach Gedichten von Theodor Storm, Hermann Hesse, und Manfred Kyber, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Maux (1893 - 1971), "Huldigung ", op. 542 (1942), published 1943 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fritz Müller (1889 - 1949), "Huldigung ", op. 1 no. 3, published 1912 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Huldigung ", 1980 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ludwig Schütz (b. 1885), "Huldigung ", 1920, published 1923 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Homage", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Hommage", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2014-10-21
Line count: 8
Word count: 46
Belle, amour, toi qui calmes Toutes les douleurs de mon âme sans repos, Je supporterais avec plaisir tous les fardeaux Si seulement tu voulais ne pas me quitter. Les flammes de ma brûlante jeunesse croissent Chaque jour jusqu'à faire un incendie, Pour décroître, reconnaissantes et comblées Sur un signe de ta blanche main.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Huldigung", written 1906
This text was added to the website: 2017-02-08
Line count: 8
Word count: 53