Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O Eppie, mein Leben! Mein Kleinod, mein Streben! Wer möchte nicht leben Mit Eppie Adair? Dir weih' ich, o Liebe, Die zärtlichsten Triebe, Die treueste Liebe, Mein' Eppie Adair! O Eppie, mein Leben! Mein Kleinod, mein Streben! Wer möchte nicht leben Mit Eppie Adair? Mich quäle die Lüge Mit Marter und Rüge, Wenn je ich betrüge Mein' Eppie Adair!
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with Robert Burns' Gedichte von W. Gerhard, Leipzig, Verlag von Johann Ambr. Barth, 1841, page 136.
- by Wilhelm Christoph Leonhard Gerhard (1780 - 1858), "Eppie Adair" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hubert Ferdinand Kufferath (1818 - 1896), "O Eppie, mein Leben!", op. 3 (6 Lieder von R. Burns für Tenor oder Sopran) no. 1, published 1841 [tenor or soprano and piano], Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2014-07-10
Line count: 16
Word count: 60
Oh Eppie, my life! My treasure, my striving! Who would not like to live With Eppie Adair? Oh dear one, I dedicate to you The most tender urges, The most faithful love, My Eppie Adair! Oh Eppie, my life! My treasure, my striving! Who would not like to live With Eppie Adair? May lies torture me With agony and rebuke, If ever I should betray My Eppie Adair!
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"O Eppie, mein Leben!" = "Oh Eppie, my life!"
"Eppie Adair" = "Eppie Adair"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Wilhelm Christoph Leonhard Gerhard (1780 - 1858), "Eppie Adair"
This text was added to the website: 2017-02-18
Line count: 16
Word count: 69