Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun sind wir still Und singen keine Lieder mehr. Der Schritt wird schwer. Das ist die Nacht, die kommen will. Gib mir die Hand, Vielleicht ist unser Weg noch weit. Es schneit, es schneit. Hart ist der Winter in dem fremden Land. Wo ist die Zeit Da uns ein Licht, ein Herd gebrannt? Gib mir die Hand, Vielleicht ist unser Weg noch weit.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 182.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Böse Zeit", written c1909 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Egon Kornauth (1891 - 1959), "Böse Zeit", op. 22 (Lieder nach Hermann Hesse) no. 2, published 1920 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Niggli (1875 - 1959), "Böse Zeit", op. 15 (Vier Lieder von Hermann Hesse) no. 1 (1913), published 1922? [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hildegard Quiel (1888 - 1971), "Böse Zeit " [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Böse Zeit ", op. 36 no. 1 [ medium voice and piano ], from Sieben Nacht- und Todeslieder für mittlere Singstimme und Klavier nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Fürchtegott Wehle (1884 - 1973), "Böse Zeit ", op. 2 no. 1 (<<1912) [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Bad times", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Mauvais temps", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-11
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
Now we are silent And sing no more songs. Our steps grow heavy. That is the night that wishes to approach. Give me your hand, Perhaps our way is still long. It is snowing, it is snowing. Winter is hard in this foreign land. Where are the times When for us a light, a hearth burned? Give me your hand, Perhaps our way is still long.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Böse Zeit", written c1909
This text was added to the website: 2017-04-12
Line count: 12
Word count: 66