Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ein Spielmann, der muß reisen, das ist ein alter Brauch, drum weht aus seinen Weisen auch stets ein Abschiedshauch. Ob ich einst wiederkehre? Mein Lieb, das weiß ich nicht. Des Todes Hand, die Schwere, viel Rosenknospen bricht.
- by Elimar von Monsterberg-Muenckenau (1877 - ?) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Abschied", 1902 [voice and piano], from Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 7. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Michael Brough (b. 1960), "Abschied", op. 15 (24 Lieder) no. 4 (>>2000). [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Adieu", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Parting", copyright © 2017
Researcher for this text: Peter Donderwinkel
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
A minstrel must travel; This is an old custom, And that is why from these old tunes There also flows a whiff of parting. Will I return some day? My love, I do not know. The hand of Death that is so heavy Breaks many a rose blossom.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
This text was added to the website: 2017-05-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 48