Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Nacht fällt ein, Das Fest verloht, Die Fackeln im Garten Verleuchten rot. Du nickest leicht Mir gute Nacht -- Du hast diesen Abend So viel gelacht! Du hast diesen Abend So viel gesprochen, Und ein ungegebenes Wort mir gebrochen.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 73.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Vorwurf", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Rolf Ackermann , "Vorwurf", <<1957 [ voice and piano ], from Neun Lieder, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "Vorwurf", op. 15 (Elf Lieder) no. 2, published 1922 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Vorwurf ", 1980 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Vorwurf", WoO. 27 (1907) [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Vorwurf ", 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Reproach", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Reproche", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 39
La nuit tombe, La fête s'apaise, Dans le jardin les flambeaux S'éteignent rougeoyants. Tu me fais signe En souhaitant bonne nuit – Durant cette soirée Tu as tant ri ! Durant cette soirée Tu as tant parlé, Et une parole non donnée M'a brisé.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Vorwurf", written 1901
This text was added to the website: 2017-06-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 44