Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Noch zwingt mich treue über [dir]1 zu wachen Und deines duldens schönheit dass ich weile · Mein heilig streben ist mich traurig machen Damit ich wahrer deine trauer teile. Nie wird ein warmer anruf mich empfangen · Bis in die späten stunden unsres bundes Muss ich erkennen mit ergebnem bangen Das herbe schicksal winterlichen fundes.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Stefan George, Werke. Ausgabe in Zwei Bänden, Erster Band, 4. Auflage, Stuttgart: Klett-Cotta, 1984, page 1291 Braunfels, Webern: "dich"
- by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), no title, appears in Das Jahr der Seele, in Waller im Schnee, no. 7 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Walter Braunfels (1882 - 1954), "Aus dem Jahr der Seele", op. 1 (Sechs Gesänge) no. 4 (1913). [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Noch zwingt mich treue", op. 4 (Fünf Lieder nach Gedichten von Stefan George) no. 2 (1908-9). [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Ancora la fedeltà mi costringe", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Jakob Kellner , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 55
Faithfulness still forces me to watch over you And the beauty of your tolerance [insists] that I linger · My holy endeavour is to make myself sad So that I might more truly share your mourning. Never shall a fervent appeal receive me· Until in the late hours of our bond I must, with resigned trepidation, recognize The bitter fate of a wintry trove.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Aus dem Jahr der Seele" = "From the Year of the Soul"
"Noch zwingt mich treue" = "Faithfulness still forces me"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), no title, appears in Das Jahr der Seele, in Waller im Schnee, no. 7
This text was added to the website: 2017-08-25
Line count: 8
Word count: 64