Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Когда поэт, описивая даму, начнёт: ,,Я шла по улице. В боко впился корсет`` Здесь я не понимал конечно прямо что, мол, под дамою скривается поэт. Я истину тебе по-друшески открою: поэт мужчина и даже с бородою.
- by Aleksandr Mikhailovich Glikberg (1880 - 1932), as Sasha Chyorny [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Критику", op. 109 no. 1 (1960), from Пять сатир = Pjat' satir, no. 1. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Leonard Lehrman) , "To a critic", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "À un critique", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 36
A poet was describing a lady. I cite: I thought my corset as I walked did not feel right." The "I" should not of course be taken literally, nor does the lady hide the poet from the light. The poet is in fact, if truth you would be steer'd to, a man – and further, he even has a beard too!
- Singable translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2017 by Leonard Lehrman, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Leonard Lehrman.  Contact: ljlehrman (AT) nassaulibrary (DOT) org
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Aleksandr Mikhailovich Glikberg (1880 - 1932), as Sasha Chyorny
This text was added to the website: 2017-10-15
Line count: 6
Word count: 61