Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Eines Dichters Traumgerank Mag sich feiner nicht verzweigen, Leichter nicht dem Winde neigen, Edler nicht ins Blaue steigen. Zärtlich, jung und überschlank Lässest du die lichten, langen Zweige mit verhaltnem Bangen Jedem Hauche regbar hangen. Also wiegend leis und schwank Willst du mir mit deinen feinen Schauern einer zärtlich reinen Jugendliebe Gleichnis scheinen.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 57-58.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Die Birke", written 1900, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Paul Haegele , "Die Birke", 1943 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Lieder auf Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erwin Hauff (1894 - 1960), "Die Birke", 1955-7, published 1960 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ludwig Jamöck , "Die Birke", 1930 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Anton Schoendlinger (1919 - 1983), "Die Birke ", published 1956 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ], from Drei Lieder nach Worten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Felix Wolfes (1892 - 1971), "Die Birke", 1951 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The birch tree", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Le bouleau", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-06
Line count: 12
Word count: 53
A poet’s intricate web of dreams May not branch out more delicately, May not bow down more gently before the wind, May not rise into the blueness more nobly. Delicate, young and over-slender You, with suppressed trepidation, Let your light, long branches hang down, Movable by every breath of wind. Rocking thus, quietly and with swaying, You, with with your fine tremblings, Seem to me to be a metaphor of Tenderly pure young love.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Die Birke", written 1900, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919
This text was added to the website: 2017-12-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 74