Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
In der leeren Flasche und im Glas Wankt der Kerze Schimmer; Es ist kalt im Zimmer. Draußen fällt der Regen weich ins Gras. Wieder legst du nun zu kurzer Ruh Frierend dich und traurig nieder. Morgen kommt und Abend wieder, Kommen immer wieder, Aber niemals du.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 238.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Einsamer Abend", written 1917 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Einsamer Abend" [ high voice and piano ], from Lieder für eine höhere Singstimme nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 12 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz Dunker , "Einsamer Abend", published 1986 [ voice and piano ], from Fünf Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Kracke (1910 - 1989), "Einsamer Abend", 1947 [ voice and piano ], from Trost der Nacht - Liederzyklus nach neun Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans-Hermann Kurig (1914 - 2002), "Einsamer Abend " [ voice and piano ], from Trost der Nacht - Ein Zyklus in fünf Liedern nach Worten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fabian Müller (b. 1964), "Einsamer Abend", first performed 2001 [ mezzo-soprano and orchestra ], from Nachtgesänge, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Willy Stärk (b. 1913), "Einsamer Abend ", 1932 [ voice and piano ], from Vier Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Solitary Evening", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-02
Line count: 9
Word count: 46
In the empty bottle and in the glass The shimmering of the candle undulates; It is cold in my chamber Outdoors the rain falls softly into the grass. Once again now, freezing and sad, You lie down for a short rest. Morning comes and evening again, They come again and again, But never you.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Einsamer Abend", written 1917
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-03
Line count: 9
Word count: 54