Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tropfen sinken, die Luft ist bang. Noch geht kein Wind. Ein Trunkener singt die Straße entlang. Sein Lied ist irr und schwach wie ein Kind. Nun schweigt er ganz: Der Himmel zerreißt Und grell im blauweißen Glanz Der Blitze die Straße gleißt. Wie Getrabe von weißen Rossen Rauscht Regen heran. Alles Licht erlosch, alle Form zerrann, Stürzende Wogen halten mich eingeschlossen.
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 155-156.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), title 1: "Sommernacht", title 2: "Gewitterregen in der Sommernacht (in Unterwegs)", subtitle: "(1910)", written 1910, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Fehres (b. 1901), "Sommernacht", 1937 [ baritone and piano ], from Vom Baum des Lebens - Sechs Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Lukas Haug (b. 1921), "Sommernacht", published 1978 [ medium voice and piano ], from Hermann-Hesse-Zyklus, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinrich Rückler , "Sommernacht " [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Sommernacht ", 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 15 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Pierre Mathé [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2013-03-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
Drops descend, the air is anxious. No wind blows yet. A drunk sings his way along the street. His song is insane and weak as a child. Now he falls completely silent: The sky is torn open And garishly in the blue-white radiance Of the lightning the street gleams. Like the sound of the hooves of white horses The rain rushes upon us. All light has gone out, all forms have dissolved, Plunging waves hold me trapped.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Gewitterregen in der Sommernacht (in Unterwegs)" = "Thunderstorm in a summer night"
"Sommernacht" = "Summer night"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), title 1: "Sommernacht", title 2: "Gewitterregen in der Sommernacht (in Unterwegs)", subtitle: "(1910)", written 1910, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-18
Line count: 12
Word count: 77