Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Eins, zwei, drei, eins, zwei, drei, was raschelt da im Heu? Willst du nicht das Mäuschen fangen? Willst du nicht das Mäuschen fangen? Fass es an dem Schwanz, dem langen! Vier, fünf, sechs, vier, fünf, sechs, hei! hei! da läuft es weg! Ist ins Mauseloch entkommen, hat sein Schwänzchen mitgenommen.
- by Ernst Ludwig Schellenberg (1883 - 1964) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Max Reger (1873 - 1916), "Mausefangen", op. 76 (Schlichte Weisen) no. 58 (1911-2). [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Catching mice", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Attraper la souris", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Brixius
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-08
Line count: 11
Word count: 50
One, two, three, One, two, three, What’s rustling there in the hay? Don’t you wish to catch the little mouse? Don’t you wish to catch the little mouse? Grab it by its tail, its long tail! Four, five, six, Four, five, six, Hey! hey! it’s running away! It has escaped into the mouse-hole And has taken its tail along.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2018-10-18
Line count: 11
Word count: 59