Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Kennst du das auch, daß manches Mal Inmitten einer lauten Lust, Bei einem Fest, in einem frohen Saal, Du plötzlich schweigen und hinweggehn mußt? Denn legst du dich aufs Lager ohne Schlaf Wie Einer, den ein plötzlich Heimweh traf; Lust und Gelächter ist verstiebt wie Rauch, Du weinst, weinst ohne Halt -- Kennst du das auch?
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 91.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Kennst du das auch?", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Hermann Grabner (1886 - 1969), "Kennst du das auch?", 1950/1 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erwin Hauff (1894 - 1960), "Kennst du das auch?", 1927 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Otto Jochum (1898 - 1969), "Kennst du das auch?", op. 139 no. 4 (<<1953) [ low voice and oboe with speaker ad libitum ], from Stufen der Einsamkeit, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Leo Kieslich (1882 - 1956), "Kennst du das auch?" [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erich Kirschner , "Kennst du das auch?" [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Christian Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Kennst du das auch? ", op. 33 no. 2 [ high voice and piano ], from Vier Lieder für hohe Stimme nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Kennst du das auch?", op. 24b no. 4 (1906), published 1917 [ voice and piano ], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Spitteler, Gamper, Hesse und Keller, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Kennst du das auch? ", 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 11 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Do you, too, know that?", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Connais-tu aussi", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: John Versmoren , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 55
Do you, too, know that: how sometimes In the midst of a raucous delight, At a celebration, in a joyful hall, You suddenly feel as if you must fall silent and go away? Then you lie down upon your bed without sleep, Like one who has suddenly been beset by homesickness; Delight and laughter have dissipated like smoke, You weep, weep without stopping -- Do you, too, know that?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Kennst du das auch?", written 1901
This text was added to the website: 2019-01-06
Line count: 8
Word count: 68