Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
No corè, puti, smaniosi tanto Drio quel incanto Che Nana g'ha Xe tuto amabile Ve acordo, in ela, La xe una stela Cascada qua Ma... ma... La Nana cocola G'ha el cuor tigrà. L'ocio xe vivo Color del cielo, Oro el cavelo Balsamo el fià; Ghe sponta in viso Do' rose intate. Invidia al late Quel sen ghe fa Ma... ma... La Nana cocola G'ha el cuor tigrà. Ogni ochiadina Che la ve daga, Da qualche piaga Voda no va! Col so' granelo De furbaria La cortesia Missiar la sa... Ma... ma... La Nana cocola G'ha el cuor tigrà.
- by Pietro Buratti (1772 - 1832) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "L'avertimento", 1901, published 1919 [ medium voice and piano ], from Venezia, chansons en dialecte vénitien, no. 3, Éd. 'Au Ménestrel' Heugel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "The warning", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Sylvain Labartette) , "L'avertissement", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) [singable] (Maurice Léna) , "L’avertissment"
- GRE Greek (Ελληνικά) (Effimia Gianniou) , "Η προειδοποίηση", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Juan Henríquez Concepción) , "El aviso", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 30
Word count: 99
Do not run, young [men], So eager[ly] After that enchantment That Nana has. All are amiable, I concede, [with] her, There is a star Fallen there, But… but… the cuddly Nana Has the heart of [a] tiger. Her eye is [the] deep Color of the sky Gold [her] hair, Balsam [her] breath; There appear [on her] face Two intact roses. That skin makes [Pure] milk envious. But… but… the cuddly Nana Has the heart of [a] tiger. Every wink That she gives, Of some plague [Venom] comes! With her grain Of cunning Kindness She knows how to measure... But… but… the cuddly Nana Has the heart of [a] tiger.
- Translation from Italian - Venetian (dialect) to English copyright © 2019 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2019-02-15
Line count: 30
Word count: 109