Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Mit Dämmerung und Amselschlag Kommt aus den Tälern her die Nacht. Die Schwalben ruhn, der lange Tag Hat auch die Schwalben müd gemacht. Durchs Fenster mit verhaltenem Klang Geht meiner Geige müder Strich. Verstehst du, schöne Nacht, den Sang - Mein altes Lied, mein Lied an dich? Ein kühles Rauschen kommt vom Wald, Daß mir das Herz erschauernd lacht, Und leis mit freundlicher Gewalt Besiegt mich Schlummer, Traum und Nacht.
G. Stöckel sets stanza 1
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 74.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Nacht", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Oskar Baumann , "Nacht", op. 309 (Hermann Hesse-Lieder, 2. Folge) no. 1 (1947). [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erwin Hauff (1894 - 1960), "Nacht", 1955-7, published 1960. [voice, piano, and violin (or viola and violoncello)] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Kurt Hessenberg (1908 - 1994), "Nacht I", op. 80 (Acht Lieder) no. 7 (<<1966). [medium voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by V. D. Patrick , "Nacht", <<1956 [voice and piano], from Vier Lieder, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Nacht", op. 42a no. 22 (1977) [medium voice and piano], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 22. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Schumann (b. 1914), "Nacht" [baritone and string quartet], from Drei Gesänge für Bariton und Streichquartett, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Stöckel , "Nacht", 1959, stanza 1 [four-part (men's?) chorus a cappella], from Zwei Chöre, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Süssmuth (1892 - 1943), "Nacht", op. 32, published 1927. [four-part men's chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , subtitle: "(1901)", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2009-06-14 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-01-25 10:20:34
Line count: 12
Word count: 70
With twilight and blackbird song The night comes forth from the valleys. The swallows rest, the long day Has made even the swallows weary. Out through the window with muted sound The tired bow-strokes of my violin pass. Lovely night, do you understand the singing - My old song, my song to you? A cool soughing comes from the forest That makes my heart laugh thrillingly, And quietly with friendly force I am conquered by slumber, dream, and night.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Nacht" = "Night"
"Nacht I" = "Night I"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Nacht", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901
Text added to the website: 2019-02-21 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-02-21 21:56:36
Line count: 12
Word count: 79