Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
GABRIEL: Nun beut die Flur das frische Grün Dem Auge zur Ergötzung dar. Den anmutsvollen Blick Erhöht der Blumen sanfter Schmuck. Hier duften Kräuter Balsam aus, Hier sproßt den Wunden Heil. Die Zweige krümmt der goldnen Früchte Last; Hier wölbt der Hain zum kühlen Schirme sich, Den steilen Berg bekrönt ein dichter Wald.
- by Gottfried, Freiherr van Swieten (1733 - 1803) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Franz) Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809), "Arie - Nun beut die Flur das frische Grün ", 1796-8 [soprano and orchestra], from the oratorio Die Schöpfung, no. 8 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Aria - Fresh greenery has now appeared on the meadow", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Air", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Malcolm Wren [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2012-03-02
Line count: 10
Word count: 53
Gabriel: Fresh greenery has now appeared on the meadows Offering delight to the eyes. The lovely view is Lifted higher by the gentle decoration of the flowers. Herbs smell of balm here; The cures for wounds are sprouting here. The branches bend down under the weight of golden fruit; The group of trees forms a vault here and offers cool protection, The steep mountain crowns a thick forest.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2019-04-16
Line count: 10
Word count: 68