Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ta paille azur de lavandes, Ne crois pas avec ce cil Osé que tu me la vendes Comme a l'hypocrite s'il En tapisse la muraille De lieux les absolus lieux Pour le ventre qui se raille Renaître aux sentiments bleus. Mieux entre une envahissante Chevelure ici mets-la Que le brin salubre y sente Zéphirine, Paméla Ou conduise vers l'époux Les prémices de tes poux.
- by Stéphane Mallarmé (1842 - 1898), "La marchande d'herbes aromatiques", written 1889, appears in Chansons bas, in 2. Les Types de Paris, Paris, Éd. du 'Figaro', Plon, Nourrit & Cie, first published 1889 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Christophe Havel (b. 1956), "La marchande d'herbes aromatiques", published 2004 [ medium voice and clarinet ], from Vocales 2000, hommage à Nicola Vaccaj, no. 18, Éd. LV productions [sung text not yet checked]
- by Darius Milhaud (1892 - 1974), "La marchande d'herbes aromatiques", op. 44 no. 2 (1917), published 1920, first performed 1919 [ voice and piano ], from Chansons bas, no. 2, Éd. Max Eschig [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Louise-Marie Simon (1903 - 1990), as Claude Arrieu, "La marchande d'herbes aromatiques", 1936, published 1937 [ medium voice and piano ], from Chansons bas, no. 2, Paris, Éd. Heugel [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "The seller of aromatic herbs", copyright © 2020
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2013-11-21
Line count: 14
Word count: 64
Your blue straw of lavender, don't believe with those eyelashes you might dare to sell it to me, as a hypocrite who might hang it on the wall, moving it from place to place of importance, for the stomach that jeers to be reborn to blue sentiments. Better to place it here among this mass of intrusive hair so that the wholesome sprig may waft its scent like a breeze, Paméla, Or drive toward your husband the first signs of your lice.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2020 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in French (Français) by Stéphane Mallarmé (1842 - 1898), "La marchande d'herbes aromatiques", written 1889, appears in Chansons bas, in 2. Les Types de Paris, Paris, Éd. du 'Figaro', Plon, Nourrit & Cie, first published 1889
This text was added to the website: 2020-02-17
Line count: 14
Word count: 82