Harrt ein Fischer auf der Brücke Die Geliebte säumt, Schmollend taucht er seine Blicke In den Bach - und träumt. Doch die lauscht im nahen Flieder, Und ihr Bildchen strahlt Jetzt aus klaren Wellen wieder, Treuer nie gemahlt. Und der Fischer kennt die Bänder, Kennt den süssen Schein: Und er hält sich am Geländer Sonst - zieht's ihn hinein!
Confirmed with Dichtungen vom Freyherrn Franz von Schlechta. Erster Band. Wien, 1824. Im v. Hirschfeld'schen Verlage, page 90.
Note: This is the second version of Schlechta's poem, published 1824 in his collected poems. When Schubert created his second version of Widerschein in 1828, he received a modified text from Schlechta, based on this text, but with a different first line, which Schlechta kept in his third and substantially modified version, published in 1876. For the first and the third version of Schlechta's text see below.
- by Franz Xaver Freiherr von Schlechta (1796 - 1875), "Widerschein" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Widerschein", D 949 (1828), published 1832 [ voice, piano ], A.Diabelli & Co., VN 4015, Wien (Nachlaß-Lieferung 15). note: D. 949 has been removed and included as the second version in D. 639 [sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Franz Peter Schubert.
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Reflex", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Weerschijn", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Reflection", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Reflets", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Pupillo) (Claretta Manara) , "Riflessi", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 59