Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
L'Océan sonore Palpite sous l'œil De la lune en deuil Et palpite encore, Tandis qu'un éclair Brutal et sinistre Fend le ciel de bistre D'un long zigzag clair, Et que chaque lame En bonds convulsifs [Le long des]1 récifs Va, vient, luit et clame, Et qu'au firmament, Où l'ouragan erre, Rugit le tonnerre Formidablement.
Confirmed with Paul Verlaine, Poëmes saturniens, Paris: Alphonse Lemerre, 1866, in Eaux-fortes, pages 36-37. First appeared in Parnasse contemporain, April 28, 1866.1 L. Vierne: "Parmi les"
- by Paul Verlaine (1844 - 1896), "Marine", written 1866, appears in Poèmes saturniens, in 2. Eaux-fortes, no. 3, Paris, Éd. Alphonse Lemerre, first published 1866 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Mathieu Alvado (b. 1978), "Marine", 2006, published 2008, first performed 2006 [ high voice and piano ], Éd. Delatour France  [sung text not yet checked]
- by Jean-Pierre Beugniot (b. 1935), "Marine" [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Paul Cribeillet (1896 - 1969), "Marine", published 1923 [ voice and piano ], Jobert [sung text not yet checked]
- by Lucien Darras (b. 1922), "Marine", 1945 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Evan Fein , "Marine", 2014, published 2014 [ soprano and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Georges (Jerzy) Nawrocki , "Marine", 1971/1972 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Suzannet Obadia , "Marine", 1951 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Patrick Pedrali , "Marine", 1966 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Louis Vierne (1870 - 1937), "Marine", op. 38 no. 10 (1916), published 1924 [ high voice and piano or orchestra ], from Spleens et Détresses, no. 10, Éd. Maurice Sénart (Salabert) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Corinne Orde) , "Marine", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bergen Weeks Applegate) , "Marine", appears in Poems Saturnine, in 2. Etchings, no. 3
- GER German (Deutsch) (Pierre Mathé) , "Seestück", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Geoffrey Wieting , Poom Andrew Pipatjarasgit [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 54