Ave, Regina coelorum, Ave, Domina Angelorum: Salve radix, salve porta, Ex qua mundo lux est orta: Gaude, Virgo gloriosa, Super omnes speciosa! Vale, o valde decora, Et pro nobis Christum exora.
About the headline (FAQ)
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Joseph (Gabriel) Rheinberger (1839 - 1901), "Ave, Regina coelorum", op. 140 (Fünf Hymnen) no. 4 [ chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Florent Schmitt (1870 - 1958), "Ave, Regina coelorum", op. 60 no. 2 (1917), published 1918 [ TTBarB chorus and organ ], from Five Motets with Accompaniment, no. 2, Paris: Durand [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Ave, Regina", op. 18 (Drei Lieder für Sopran, Klarinette und Gitarre) no. 3 (1925) [sung text checked 1 time]
The text above (or a part of it) is used in the following settings:
- by Josquin des Prez (c1440 - 1521), "Alma redemptoris mater / Ave regina caelorum" [ four-part chorus ], note: the top & bottom voices sing Alma redemptoris, the middle 2 voices sing Ave regina
Set in a modified version by Guillaume Dufay.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Wees gegroet, Koningin der hemelen", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (David Wyatt) , "Hail queen of heaven", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Salut, Reine", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 31