Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Caro mio ben, credimi almen, senza di te languisce il cor. Il tuo fedel sospira ognor. Cessa, crudel, tanto rigor!
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Scott Gendel (b. 1977), "Caro mio ben", 2002-2013 [ voice and piano ], from Italian Art Songs & Arias, Reimagined, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- misattributed to Giuseppe Giordani (Giordanello) (1751 - 1798) and by Tommaso Giordani (c1733 - 1806), "Caro mio ben", note: long misattributed to G. Giordani, current scholarship indicates the older brother Tommaso as the composer (cf. John Glenn Paton, 26 Italian Songs and Arias, Alfred Publishing) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (John Glenn Paton) , "My dear beloved", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Theodore Baker) , "Thou, all my bliss"
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Mein teurer Geliebter", copyright © 2001, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Herzliebster mein", copyright © 2001, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Débora Letícia Batista) , "Meu caro bem", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Aminta Iriarte) , "Mi querido", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 20
Mein teurer Geliebter, glaube mir zumindest, ohne dich, verzehrt sich mein Herz. Deine Getreue seufzt Tag und Nacht. Beende, Grausamer, soviel Strenge.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2001 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2004-05-26
Line count: 8
Word count: 22