Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Мы были вместе, помню я... Ночь волновалась, скрипка пела, Ты в эти дни была моя, Ты с каждым часом хорошела. Сквозь тихое журчанье струй, Сквозь тайну женственной улыбки К устам просился поцелуй, Просились в сердце звуки скрипки...
- by Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok (1880 - 1921) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Мы были вместе", op. 127 no. 3 [soprano and violin], from Семь Стихотворений А. Блока: вокально-инструментальная сюита = Sem' stikhotvorenij A. Bloka, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (David Angell) , title 1: "We were together", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Nous étions ensemble", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Anne Evans) , title 1: "We were together", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
We were together, I recall... Violins sang in vibrant darkness; Day after day you were my own, With every hour you grew more fair. The secrets of a woman's smile, The quiet whispering of breezes Set tender kisses on my lips, And filled my heart with violin songs...
- Singable translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2004 by David Angell, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2004-06-12
Line count: 8
Word count: 48