Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
[Solang]1 man nüchtern ist, Gefällt das Schlechte; Wie man getrunken hat, Weiß man das Rechte; Nur ist das Übermaß Auch gleich zuhanden: Hafis, o lehre mich, Wie du's verstanden! Denn meine Meinung ist Nicht übertrieben: Wenn man nicht trinken kann, Soll man nicht lieben; Doch sollt ihr Trinker euch Nicht besser dünken: Wenn man nicht lieben kann, Soll man nicht trinken.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Wolf : "So lang"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1814, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 9. Das Schenkenbuch -- Saki Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847), "Trinklied aus dem Divan", op. posth. 75 (Sechs Lieder für vierstimmigen Männerchor) no. 3 (c1837), published 1849. [four-part men's chorus] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "So lang man nüchtern ist", 1889, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 36, Mainz, Schott [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "For as long as you are sober", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Finché si è sobri", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 16
Word count: 61
For as long as you are sober, you are pleased with what is bad; When you have had a drink, you know what's what; But then excess is on hand: Hafiz, teach me how you understand this. For my opinion isn't an exaggeration: If you can't drink you can't love; But then you drinkers shouldn't imagine yourself to be better: If you can't love you can't drink.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1814, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 9. Das Schenkenbuch -- Saki Nameh
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 16
Word count: 67