Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Wie sollt ich heiter bleiben, Entfernt von Tag und Licht? Nun aber will ich schreiben, Unt trinken mag ich nicht. Wenn sie mich an sich lockte, War Rede nicht im Brauch, Und wie die Zunge stockte So stockt die Feder auch. Nur zu! Geliebter Schenke, Den Becher fülle still! Ich sage nur: Gedenke! Schon weiß man, was ich will.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Wie sollt ich heiter bleiben", 1888, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 45, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , title 1: "How can I remain cheerful", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Come potrei restare sereno", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
How can I remain cheerful so far from day and light? But now I want to write and I can't drink. When she drew me to herself no words were used. Just as my tongue stopped then So has my pen stopped now. So then! I'll allow the barman to continue to top up my glass. I just say, "Remember" and people immediately know what I want.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 12
Word count: 67