Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie sollt ich heiter bleiben, Entfernt von Tag und Licht? Nun aber will ich schreiben, Unt trinken mag ich nicht. Wenn sie mich an sich lockte, War Rede nicht im Brauch, Und wie die Zunge stockte So stockt die Feder auch. Nur zu! Geliebter Schenke, Den Becher fülle still! Ich sage nur: Gedenke! Schon weiß man, was ich will.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Wie sollt ich heiter bleiben", 1888, published 1891 [ voice and piano ], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 45, Mainz, Schott [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Com puc romandre serè", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "How can I remain cheerful", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Come potrei restare sereno", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
Come potrei restare sereno, lontano dal giorno e dalla luce? Ora però voglio scrivere, e di bere non mi va. Quando lei mi attirava a sé non occorrevano parole, e come allora la lingua s'inceppava ora si inceppa la penna. Suvvia! Amabile coppiere riempi in silenzio la coppa! Dico soltanto: Ricorda! Si sa bene cosa intendo.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh
This text was added to the website: 2012-10-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 56