Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Auf deinem Grunde haben Sie an verborgnem Ort Den goldnen Schatz begraben, Der Nibelungen Hort. Ihn wahren deine Wellen Bis an den Jüngsten Tag, Zu der geheimen Stellen Kein Räuber dringen mag. Mir ward ins Herz gesenket Ein Schatz, gleich wie dem Rhein, Er ist darin ertränket, Wird ewig drinnen sein.
- by Karl Leberecht Immermann (1769 - 1840) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hermann (Ernst?) Levi (1839 - 1900), "Auf dem Rhein", op. 2 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3, published 1861 [voice and piano], Winterthur, Rieter-Biedermann [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Paul Samuel (b. 1868), "Auf dem Rhein", op. 2 (Zwei Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1895 [voice and piano], Berlin, Ries & Erler [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Auf dem Rhein", op. 51 (Lieder und Gesänge für Singstimme und Klavier (Heft 2)) no. 4 (1846), published 1850 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Whistling [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Op de Rijn", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "On the Rhine", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Sur le Rhin", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Sul Reno", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 51
Sul tuo fondo, in un luogo nascosto, hanno sepolto un aureo tesoro, l'oro dei Nibelunghi. Lo custodiscono le tue onde fino alla fine del tempo, fino a quel luogo segreto nessun ladro può arrivare. Anche nel mio cuore è nascosto un tesoro, come nel Reno, è sommerso nel profondo, e là resterà in eterno.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2006 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2006-03-27
Line count: 12
Word count: 54