Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Я жду тебя! Закат угас, И ночи тёмные покровы Спуститься на землю готовы И спрятать нас. Я жду тебя! Душистой мглой Ночь напоила мир уснувший, И разлучился день минувший На век с землей. Я жду тебя! Терзаясь и любя, Считаю каждыя мгновенья, Полна тоски и нетерпенья. Я жду тебя!
- by Maria Avgustovna Davidova (1863 - ?) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dimitri Ignatevich Arakishvili (b. 1953), "Я жду тебя", published <<1972 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Sergei Vasil'yevich Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943), "Я жду тебя", op. 14 (Двенадцать романсов = Dvenadcat' romansov (Twelve songs)) no. 1 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Vasily Georgyevich Vrangel (1862 - 1901), "Я жду тебя", op. 37 no. 5, published 1899 [ mezzo-soprano or baritone and piano ], Ю. Г. Циммерман (J. G. Zimmermann) [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ruslan Sviridov) , "I wait for you", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 49
I wait for you! The sun has set night's dark covers are ready to descend and hide us. I wait for you! With a fragrant mist, night suffused the sleeping world and the past day has bid farewell to earth. I wait for you! Tormented and in love, I am counting each moment. Full of anguish and impatience I wait for you!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2006 by Ruslan Sviridov, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2007-08-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 62