Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn ich dich, Holde, sehe, So glaub' ich keinen Schmerz, Schon deine bloße Nähe Beseligt dieses Herz. Die Leiden sind zerronnen, Die sonst die Brust gequält, Es leuchten tausend Sonnen Der lustentbrannten Welt. Und neue Kräfte blitzen Ins trunkne Herz hinein, Ja, ich will dich beschützen, Ich will dein Diener sein.
- by Franz Adolf Friedrich von Schober (1796 - 1882), written 1821 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Alfonsos Cavatina", D 732 no. 13b (1821-2), from opera Alfonso und Estrella, no. 13b, Act II; published posthumously [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Alfonso's cavatine", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Cavatina for a bass voice from the opera Alfonso and Estrella", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Cavatine", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Cavatina di Alfonso", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 51
Quando ti vedo, o splendida, non credo più al dolore, già la tua sola vicinanza fa felice il mio cuore. Le pene si disperdono, che mi affliggono il cuore, splendono mille soli sul mondo acceso di gioia. E nuove forze lampeggiano dentro il cuore ebbro, sì, io voglio proteggerti, voglio essere il tuo servo.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2007 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Franz Adolf Friedrich von Schober (1796 - 1882), written 1821
This text was added to the website: 2007-09-20
Line count: 12
Word count: 54